For all the businesses it is very important to save maximum time from unnecessary tasks especially the time they spend on creating invoices. Whether you are the owner of any company or doing freelancing work for multiple companies, you will need an invoice. Definitely, invoices are an essential part of any business, that help businesses get paid on time, keep track of their accounts, and help them build long-term and better relationship with the clients. That is why choosing the right customized invoice template is essential for small and medium-sized businesses that are limited by staff and extra time. If you choose to make an invoice on Excel or Google Spreadsheets, it offers flexible functionalities and easy-to-use features that will help you create faster invoices.
Table Of Content
Why Do You Need to Choose Customizable Invoice Templates?
Using customizable bill statements for your business is not that difficult as you are thinking. In fact, it is relatively straightforward than creating it from scratch. Especially when you create an invoice in excel or Google Spreadsheet.
You just need to add information into the tables, set some rules, and check the format of the template, and you are good to go. Alternatively, there are many free online invoice generators and software out there into the market that helps the business create quick bills. When you use such invoices free template, you will be able to enjoy quite a few benefits:
- Leaves a great impression on your clients
- More like to get more work from the clients
- Easy to maintain invoices online
- Keep organized with the client details
- Easy to restore the misplaced/deleted invoices
- Printable invoices for bookkeeping
Things to Consider Before You Create an Invoice
Creating a professional invoice might look like an easy task but many people often find it as the toughest task, especially if they are doing it for the first time. Invoice is the last document that is the source of communication with the client and that's why it must be a good impression of the company. To create a good impression there are few things that you need to consider before you create an invoice.
Plan organization policies
Before you decide to do anything else, the first thing you need to do is plan your organizational policies, so that you can guide your clients. It is very important to set some rules to stay disciplined for your business. To get you started, you need to find answers to the following questions:
- Is it possible for your company to provide an option to return goods? If yes, what will be the return policy?
- What are the terms and conditions for the payment? How much credit the company can offer?
- Should the company charge late payment fees? If yes, how much?
- Should the company ask for an advanced payment? If yes, how much?
Once you have decided all the above-given questions, you can move ahead on the next step.
Set up the preferred payment collection method
Payment collection is the main objective of creating invoices. So it is very important to set up and decide preferred payment collections methods. To do that ask yourself or your employees how you guys are going to collect the payment once you send the invoices to the clients. If it is by cash or cheque, how clients will send it to you? If you want your clients to do payment using a credit card, have you prepared for an online payment gateway? What will be the option for international clients? PayPal is a good place to send and receive the payment, did you set up an account there? Before making any decision check out the setup process and annual fees for receiving the payment.
Design and branding
A professional and good looking invoice can strengthen trust in your client's mind. So you need to make sure that you use elegant design according to your branding style and design the invoice template layout very professionally. Make sure the layout you design includes all the product information that you want to cover. If you are using any kind of invoicing software or invoicing generator, you might get the best invoice design layouts for your business. With that you just need to upload your company logo and other information and you are all set to send the invoices.
How to Create an Invoice Template using Excel
Now that you are sure why you need to choose customizable invoicing templates for your customers, let’s start making invoices template free using Microsoft Excel. Here are some simple steps that you need to follow for the best results –
- Open Microsoft Excel
- Click File
- Select new
- Write invoice into the search bar
- Check out all available template of an invoice
- Download the template
- Hit the “Create” button to open the Excel template in a new window.
- Customize the details as per your needs
- Add logo, if you have one
- Your business contact information (Name, Address, Phone number, Email)
- Client’s contact details (Name, Address, Phone number, Email, Department)
- A unique invoice number
- The payment due date and total payable amount
- An itemized list of product information and services with description
- Hours worked
- Quantity of the products
- The rates of the services/products
- A subtotal for each service/product (Add formulas to calculate)
- The total amount with taxes (Add formulas to calculate)
- Payment terms and conditions
- Preferred payment methods or payment links
- Thank You note
- Save the invoice template with a unique name
Send the completed invoice to your clients using email or by mail. You can also send a cover note along with your invoice to highlight the important details, like why it is important for you to have a business with that client as a sweet gesture and also inform them about the invoice due date and the total amount they need to pay.
How to Create an Invoice Template using Google Spreadsheet
So, if you want more advanced features such as invoices to store online with an autosave option, Google Spreadsheet is the best suitable option where you can insert the essential information and get the automatic calculation. Here are easy steps to follow while creating an invoice template with Google sheets -
- Log in into Google
- Open Google sheets
- Go to Template Gallery
- Under the Work category, you will find “Invoice”
- Open the invoice template
- Start editing an invoice template
- Edit your company details (Logo, name, address, phone numbers, email address/website)
- Add client’s details in Invoice for section (Concerned person/company name, department address, contact details)
- Give a unique invoice number
- Add product/service name and product information
- Insert quantity, unit price, and total price
- Check the auto-calculated total price and subtotal
- Add discounted price or any advanced amount in adjustments
- Include thank you note in this template by creating a separate section
- Insert terms and condition and payment link
Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets: Which is the best?
If you are using Excel or Google Sheets instead of Word or Google Docs, considering the automatic formulas, it is a good choice. Now, let’s see which one is the best for your business and which provides the features that help you do quick tasks.
Microsoft Excel is quite difficult because you need to add up appropriate formulas on your own for the totals and calculate taxes. On the other side, with Google Sheets you will get readymade invoice template which has auto formulas for calculations. With both the Google Sheets and Microsoft Excel, you can set up a table with your product information and formulas with the minimum efforts.
However, Excel falls short on when it comes to visuals. It is very difficult to make the invoice look professional when you use excel. Even, another drawback is that it is quite hard to adjust column width in Excel without affecting the entire document. With both Excel and sheets you won’t have more styling options such as color, fonts, font size, etc. that you usually get with Word or Google Docs.
If you are not sure which one is suitable for your business, you need to check what your business requirements are and which are the features you are looking for. If you don’t have internet connectivity or facing internet connectivity and going to use printable invoices Microsoft Excel is the best option for you. If you are serving many clients and you usually misplace the invoices, online invoices are the best feature that you should look for, in which Google Spreadsheets is the best thing for you.
If you are running a successful business, you need to always look at the wider picture. With invoices, it is not just about creating and sending the invoice itself. For example:
- You need to take of which invoices have been paid and are overdue or due.
- You also need to track how much money you have earned every month/year for business strategy and tax purposes.
- You have to go back and look back to old invoices and searching through the bunch of files is quite frustrating.
- You also have to keep track of each and every financial transaction and note down which stuff is profitable for you and your business.
Excel and Google Sheets both are helpful when it comes to the above tasks. We at MixBit provide all the necessary information related to invoicing and all the latest tips and tricks about invoicing processes, with our latest blog posts.
1. Is there an invoice template in Excel?
Answer: Yes, the latest version of Excel offers various templates for various industries and it offers a variety of different types of layouts. You can also create your own unique template using your unique style, giving your branding touch to it. There are many business owners who want to build their own reputation with a professional touch through invoices, creating an invoice template in Excel can help them build such brand value in the market.
2. How do I make an invoice?
Answer: Everyone has different ways of creating invoice templates. It completely depends on the business requirements and the features businesses are looking for their invoices. According to their needs businesses have to decide which is a suitable format for creating a new invoice. Once you have decided, you need to look for the invoice template layouts and/or create one from scratch. You can follow the step-by-step process for creating an invoice to get paid faster.
3. How do I create a GST invoice in Excel?
Answer: To create a GST invoice in excel, first of all, you can create a normal invoice template, then at the end of subtotal you need to add GST under your tax amount. Then you need to calculate the final amount including GST and other services taxes.